Hey RESTōR fam! I’m urging you to consider what the surface idols are in your life and then dig in and identify the deep or root idols that drive the unbelief (that results in the surface sins of your life). If you want the entire talk…listen or watch “IDOLS” wk 1.
Real, gospel transformation only comes with full repentance. This is important because it’s possible to spend a lifetime repenting of the surface sins, but never getting victory because the root causes remain unidentified. These questions may help with this ID process:
- What are the recurring surface idols/sins in my life?
- Greatest nightmare? What do I worry about the most?
- What do I most fear losing?
- What brings me comfort when stress is high?
- What gives me the most self worth?
- What do I need more than Jesus to make me happy?
Here’s a recap…
LIFE ONLY HAS MEANING AND I ONLY HAVE VALUE IF…
- I have a particular kind of look or body image. IMAGE IDOLATRY
- I am highly productive and get a lot of work done. WORK IDOLATRY
- I am being recognized for my accomplishments and excelling in my work. ACHIEVEMENT IDOLATRY
- I have a certain level of wealth, financial freedom and very nice possessions. MATERIALISM IDOLATRY
- I am adhering to my religion’s moral codes and am accomplished in its activities. RELIGIOUS IDOLATRY [IRRELIGIOUS]
- this one person is in my life and happy to be there and/or happy with me. INDIVIDUAL PERSON IDOLATRY
- my race and culture is recognized as superior. RACIAL / CULTURAL IDOLATRY
- a particular social or professional group lets me in. INNER RING IDOLATRY
- my children and/or my parents are happy and happy with me. FAMILY IDOLATRY
- Mr or Ms Right is in love w/me and wants to be with me. RELATIONSHIP IDOLATRY
- I am hurting, in a problem; only then do I feel worthy of love or able to deal with guilt. SUFFERING IDOLATRY
- I am completely free from obligations or responsibilities to take care of someone. INDEPENDENCE IDOLATRY
DEEP [ROOT] IDOLS –
If you seek COMFORT (privacy, lack of stress, freedom)…
People may say you are laid back and likable.
- Your greatest nightmare: stress, demands
- People around you often feel: neglected
- Your problem emotion: boredom
If you seek APPROVAL (affirmation, love, relationships)…
People may say you are likable and friendly.
- Your greatest nightmare: rejection
- People around you often feel: smothered
- Your problem emotion: cowardice
If you seek CONTROL (self-discipline, certainty, standards)…
People may say you are competent and detailed.
- Your greatest nightmare: uncertainty
- People around you often feel: condemned
- Your problem emotion: worry
If you seek POWER (success, winning, influence)…
People may say you are confident and strong.
- Your greatest nightmare: humiliation
- People around you often feel: used
- Your problem emotion: anger
RESOURCE: COUNTERFEIT GODS by Tim Keller